Chinese Chinese Typing, Chinese Speech, Chinese Learning, Language Tool www.hanwj.com
HanWJ Chinese Smart Editor Introduction
For its powerful functionalities in HanZi information display, HanZi parts decomposition, paragraph annotation, the abilities to add toned PinYin on top of HanZi, and text-speech feature, HanWJ Chinese Smart Editor is very suitable for Chinese teaching and self-learning.
HanWJ Chinese Smart Editor can be used for editing both formated or plain text document. For formated text, it uses Rich Text Format(.rtf) which is compatible with most popular word processors, such as Microsoft Word.
Most features can be found on the main menu and toolbars of the program and are self-explanatory.
* HanWJ Chinese Smart Editor has integrated HanWJ Chinese Input Method into itself. This makes inputing Chinese when using HanWJ Chinese Smart Editor very convenient, even without any Chinese input tool installed on your PC.
* Hanzi Annotation. Select Chinese character, word or paragraph, use hot key Right Alt+Z (also on right-click menu) to bring up a HanZi Information Window. For Chinese character or word, it shows toned PinYin, definition in English, parts decomposition, stroke order, etc.;
for paragraph, it annotates each character or word specifying its pronounciation and definition. These features are unique and essential for Chinese reading.
When program reads out the Chinese text, the Hanzi being read will be highlighted for easier attention following. Source text and annotated text will be displayed on two different views; when you put caret on Hanzi on source text, corresponding word in annotated view will be highlighted.
* Quick Online Dictionary. Placing cursor over a Chinese character, or over a selected word will show up a dictionary window displaying the subject's dictionary definition, Pinyin, and a speak button. You can choose, in an option dialog, whether you want this happen only when pressing down shift/alt/ctrl key while placing cursor over Hanzi, This feature can be enable/disabled using the dictionary button on the main toolbar on top of the program.
* Find HanZi by Parts (hot key: Right Alt+X). It shows most significant HanZi radicals and parts. User may select radicals/parts and the dialog shows all HanZi's which contain the selected radicals/parts. In the same dialog, it also shows HanZi information. Very convenient while learning HanZi.
* Adding Toned PinYin on top of HanZi. Toned pinyin can be in standard form, like gu㈤, or like gua3.
There are two ways to add tone PinYin on top of HanZi; they are both in Tools menu. One is through direct method which adds pinyin over hanzi at a separate line. It's most efficient in terms of time and disk space; the draw back is that since toned PinYin and Zi's are on separate lines, it's more difficult to modify in a large scale.
The other method is Zi-PinYin Combo. It converts HanZi to HanZi-PinYin combo; the Zi and PinYin are presented as one Combo Block; Being a Combo Block, they can easily be edited. the draw back of this method is that the file produced is larger than the other method. Both methods can be applied to any portion of text.
* Text-To-Speech Feature. Use the Speaker button on the main toolbar on top to enable this feature. Once enabled, a Speech Play toolbar will show up at bottom of the program which you can use to play selected paragraph or change options. There is a combobox on the right of this toolbar which shows which document is being spoken.
It can be configured to speak both Chinese and English, or only Chinese or English.
* Save .wav Speech File. First select paragraph, then choose the Save Speech File (wav)" menu item in the File menu. The Speech File created can be played directly using "Play Sound File" menu item in File menu.
* Command Line Speech File Generation. This provides tools for website designers to speak out web content automatically. The command line format is: HWJEdit -wav [Source Text Path] [wav File Path].
* Peom Helper - a tool to help find rhyme hanzi. In Tools menu.
* On the "File" menu, there is an sub-menu "New Document Type Select". In that dialog, you can choose document type for new file. On first install, it is set at RTF type,i.e., formated text. If you only use plain document, you can set it to GB-Text or Big5-Text, for Simplified and Traditional Chinese, respectively.
* When reading RTF file generated by HanWJ Chinese Smart Editor from Microsoft Word, please read it as RTF document. When reading file generated by Word, please save it as RTF file in Word.
* HanWJ Chinese Smart Editor uses Unicode internally.
* In HanWJ Chinese Smart Editor, PinYin letter with tone can be input by typing vowel key and quickly pressing Tone key (either the leftmost column of keys on keyboard or numeric keys; configurable in System Options dialog) at the same time. e.g., pressing down 'a', then quickly pressing tab key will input 'á'.
* HanWJ Chinese Smart Editor has a powerful feature of converting between Simplified and Traditional Chinese. In Tools menu, you can choose to convert whole file, or just selected text. You can choose, in System Preferencies dialog , to have HanWJ prompt you with possible choices when ambiguous character conversion situation is encountered.
* The shortcut keys for Find are:(Note:Right-Alt+K means pressing 'k' while holding down Right-Alt key)
======================================================================= Find: Right-Alt +F Find Next: Right-Alt +L or Ctrl+W, Right-Alt +F3 =======================================================================
* There is a highlighter tool on the toolbar.
* There are a bunch of tools for recovering messed-up gb/big5 Chinese texts.
* Tools for converting letter or punctuations to full-width Chinese characters.
* About Chinese font collection. You may search the web by "方正字库 下载" or "文泉驿 开源中文字体"; these are very pretty fonts and easy to install.
* Double-clicking the first, second and third sections on statusbar will bring out Input Options dialog, keymap, etc.
* HanWJ Chinese Smart Editor provides second clipboard (plain text). When doing copy/paste using keyboard keys, you can access the second clipboard by pressing down Alt key additionally.
* In open/save dialogs, HanWJ remembers the recently-visited folders and you can move to these folders easily.